Saturday, December 19, 2009

Contradictory Egg Nog Challah French Toast

It just occurred to me as I was about to write this, that it's pretty funny that I made french toast this morning with Challah and Egg Nog.  Being someone that celebrates neither Christmas or Hanukkah, the delicious contradiction never crossed my mind while I was making it.  Nevertheless, it WAS delicious, and I wanted to share.  Hopefully, you can be as lax as I am, forget about the sacreligiousness of it all and just enjoy it!

Egg Nog Challah French Toast


1 loaf of challah (because why would you want to use any other type of bread!...except maybe panatone)
4 eggs
2 cups whole milk
1/2-3/4 cup egg nog (depending on how strong you want the flavor to be)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Butter for greasing (and eating!)
Maple syrup (please, don't ruin it with Log Cabin like my kids do!)


If you have time, slice the bread a couple of hours before you plan to make it, so it dries out a little, or use slightly stale bread to begin with.  Combine all the ingredients but the bread in a 13x9 dish and wisk until frothy.  Soak the slices of bread while the griddle heats up and press down to make sure it gets good and wet.  Grease the griddle with butter and cook until brown on both sides.  Keep warm on a cookie sheet in your oven on the lowest setting while you finish the whole loaf.  Enjoy, This stuff is GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment